Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Books I Adore!

One of the most simple pleasures for me is opening a new book. There has always been something so promising about it. The sensation is similar to going on a first date. I am filled with excitement about the possibility of falling in love, and even though there is an end (with books anyways) I will enjoy every moment of the ride.

Books are one of the greatest inventions of all time. They are full of entertainment and can take you to places you would have never ordinarily been, especially if that world is filled with fantasy. Books are also one of the most Eco-friendly devices out there. They use absolutely no energy and are biodegradable and recyclable. Plus they are completely portable and you don't have to worry about having WiFi or a power cord. That is way better than a Kindle or a TV can say!

Ever since I was a child, books have had a special place in my heart. I was always read to by my parents and grandmother. Even before I could read fluently I would carry a book around almost like a security blanket. I have always identified with the character Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast because she was never without a book.

As I got older I was known as the bookworm because I was always reading. My husband met a former classmate of mine at the gym not too long ago. The classmate lived in my childhood community and proceeded to tell my husband that everyone classified me with the "smart people" because I was always reading and never had much interest in anything else. Yep, I was that girl.

Over the years I have acquired enough books to fill over half of our school library while still keeping my favorites at home. My favorite genre is YA Fiction, but as a teacher I have also collected quite a few picture books for children. The following lists are by far the best books and authors I have encountered:

Children's picture books and Authors:

  • Eric Carl (i.e. The Hungry Caterpillar; Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?)
  • David Weisner (i.e. The Loathsome Dragon, Flotsam, Art and Max)
  • The Princess and the Kiss
  • Pete the Cat books
  • Stellaluna


Children's chapter books:

  • The Tale of Desperaux
  • The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The BFG


YA novels:

  • The Giver by Lois Lowry (author of Number the Stars)
  • The 5th Wave
  • The Hunger Games trilogy
  • Maggie Stiefvater books (i.e. Lament, Ballad, The Scorpio Races)

These are the most recommended titles and authors by me. If you have a favorite book or author, please leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment