Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Noms

Sorry for not posting lately. There was a new addition to my extended family. Caleb Andrew Kiser was born earlier this week to two of my closest non-family members. I am so excited for the Kiser family!

So today I am super hungry. I keep thinking about the pizza in the fridge waiting for me to heat and eat. Being married and on a budget, we have to live like we are broke. This also means cooking like we are broke. Today, I will be sharing my three favorite recipes for couples that are on a tight budget.

Chicken Joes:

It's like sloppy joes but with chicken! I prefer using Manwich sloppy Joe mix and I have found that the flavors really work for this recipe.


  • 1lb chopped chicken,cooked. I prefer canned.
  • 1 can sloppy joe mix
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup each: mustard, ketchup, and BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's honey BBQ)
    • If mixture gets soupy, add in extra chicken
Heat all ingredients together in a large skillet. Serve on buns or rolls.


Stewed Tomatoes and Rice with Kielbasa Sausage


This is a great dish my mom would make. It is wonderful served with blackeyed peas.
  • 1 bag of boil in a bag white rice
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 Kielbasa sausage
  • 1 tsp basil
Boil rice. Slice sausage and fry in a skillet on medium high heat. Add stewed tomatoes and crushed basil to sausage and heat till warm. Serve with rice.


World's Best Chicken Salad

This is THE number one recipe my friends and family want. I worked at a cafe in college and this was the recipe for the chicken salad. It was one of the best selling sandwiches! You can add nuts and fruit if you wish, but it is delicious all on its own.

For every 1 can of chicken:

  • 1 tbs (light or regular) mayo, miracle whip, and sour cream
  • 1 tbs sweet relish
  • salt and pepper to taste
Drain chicken and shred with hands or fork. Add salt and pepper. stir. Add first three ingredients and stir vigorously. Start off with small amounts and add more if necessary. Add relish. If too dry, add sweet pickle juice. Stir. Let sit till chilled.

This is great for sandwiches, but can be a dip. Substitute sour cream for 1/4 block softened cream cheese to make thick for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment